Meditate with your Dog(s)
I am writing a blog, perhaps once a month, (sounds very feminine) to share my experiences in my on-going healing arts practice.
When I dedicate myself to a spiritual practice, on a daily basis, just as many of us do with a daily exercise program (walking, biking, weights, etc.), I truly benefit.
This first blog is about meditating with your dog(s). Like so many others, I find it a challenge to sit still. I prefer being active and moving. It takes a lot of strength for me to set aside a task, sit, and welcome silence.
In fact, the book that inspired me the most to meditate is Inviting Silence by Gunilla Norris. This book helped me to lighten up; and progress slowly, at my own pace. Her approach is very gentle. It’s exactly what I can handle as I develop a new spiritual practice/lesson.
Another great spiritual leader that I have followed since the late 1980’s is Deepak Chopra. In his daughter’s book, Living with Intent, by Mallika Chopra, Deepak writes about the power of meditation. He states “If you learn to quiet your internal dialogue and pay attention to your inner life, you will be guided by intuition rather than externally imposed interpretations of what is and isn’t good for you.”
My favorite place to mediate is in the living room, on my favorite comfortable chair, with our boxers, Camille and Ilaria sitting nearby. Here is a link to a PetMassage YouTube video with Jonathan and our lovely boxers meditating together. The beauty of dogs, is that they entrain with their humans quickly and easily. Meditate with your dogs. You and your dogs can learn to enjoy the quiet time together. Jonathan’s Transitions book details how to join up with your dog in meditation. Many people have used his techniques to connect with their dogs. Their stories are heartwarming.
Do your best to find the ideal room and chair in your house. To keep your mind relaxed, be sure to have a neat, Feng Shui-friendly space.
Here are lists of benefits and the process I’ve developed from my experience with meditation. Modify the process to personalize your own method. Create your own style, to feel secure and comfortable.
BENEFITS OF MEDITATION
- When you ease and relax your mind, you produce chemicals that calm and enable you to feel secure, confident, and optimistic.
- Helps you focus more easily.
- Encourages you to breathe more deeply and slowly.
- Sleep more soundly.
- Boost your immune system.
- Feel more grounded. Enhance your connection to floor/ground/earth.
- Encourages youth-ing. Stay young, healthy, engaged, and resilient.
- Lower your blood pressure.
- Become more in touch with your Guides, your intuition (as Deepak Chopra suggests).
- Have an intention to quiet your mind.
- Sit on a upright chair, remove shoes, feet flat on the floor or sit on floor, lotus style.
- Rest your hands quietly on your lap.
- Close your eyes.
- Breathe through your nose, slowly and deeply.
- Begin with one minute and increase time as you prefer.
- As thoughts come up (and they will) honor them, observe them, and release them as you return your focus to your breath.
- When you feel complete, gently open your eyes, move your fingers, wrists, elbows and shoulders, neck and spine.
- Welcome home.
I affirm that as you adjust the process that feels good for you, you will enjoy a wonderful practice.
I send you blessings to begin or continue your sitting in silence meditation.
When you have any questions or would like to share your experience with me, please contact me at Anastasia@petmassage.com . I am offering to be a loving support person for you.
Peace and Love,